The Robot Vacuum That Does Not Scratch My Hardwood Floors
I noticed the scratches before I noticed the connection.
Faint little lines near the baseboards. Mostly in corners, right under the edges of furniture, exactly the spots where my robot vacuum kept getting stuck and wiggling itself free. Took me embarrassingly long to connect those dots.
I'd bought the cheapest robot vacuum I could find. My logic at the time? A vacuum is a vacuum. Wheels are wheels. Turns out that assumption cost me a refinishing job I really didn't want to deal with.
Once I actually looked into it, the whole thing made sense. Tiny grit gets caught in hard plastic wheels, and every time the vacuum bumps and spins its way out of a corner, that grit drags across the wood. One pass? Nothing happens. Months of daily cleaning? Completely different story. By the time I noticed, the damage was already done.
So I sat down one evening and actually went through a real best robot vacuum prime day deal roundup instead of panic buying another cheap option out of frustration. This time I checked wheel material. I read hardwood specific reviews. Basic stuff I skipped the first time around.
For the main living areas, I got an iRobot Roomba 694. What sold me was the sensors, it actually detects furniture edges instead of just bumping into them over and over like my old one did. For the bedrooms, a Shark AI Ultra Robot Vacuum with home mapping, since it moves in a planned pattern instead of the random bump and spin that wrecked my baseboards in the first place.
Six months in, no new scratches anywhere. I actually check now too, running a hand along the baseboards every few weeks, something I never bothered doing before.
That scratched spot near my kitchen doorway is still there. Small enough that guests never notice it. I notice it every single time I walk past though. It's a good reminder that "it's just a vacuum" was the wrong way to think about a machine that touches my floor every day of the week.
If you're shopping for a robot vacuum and you've got wood floors, checking wheel material and real hardwood reviews isn't being overly careful. It's five minutes that would've saved me a genuinely annoying conversation with a flooring guy.
You may also like: What actually matters when buying a robot vacuum for wood floors?
(This article contains affiliate links. If you purchase through them, we may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you.)

Post a Comment